The VC men's tennis team continued their strong start with a 7-2 victory over visiting Riverside on Tuesday afternoon. The Pirates (5-0, 3-0) won two of three doubles matches before nearly sweeping singles play. Leo Noni (No. 3 singles, No. 3 doubles), Alexandre Campolina (No. 5 singles, No. 3 doubles) and Cody Castro (No. 6 singles, No. 1 doubles) were all double winners for VC on the day.
Ventura began the day taking two of three doubles matches against the Tigers. Antonio Rosales and Castro won their No. 1 doubles slot 8-2 while Campolina and Noni triumphed at No. 3, 8-1.
In singles, Campolina provided the most dominant victory, a love, love triumph at No. 5. Ryan Lam won his No. 4 singles match 6-1, 6-1, and Charles De La Laurencie marched to a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2. Noni claimed his second point of the day with a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 3, and Castro claimed another point with a 6-4, 6-1 victory at No. 6.
The Pirates return to the VC Tennis Center on Friday Feb. 21, facing San Diego Mesa at 1:00 pm. The match is a make-up of a postponed contest from Jan. 31.
Ventura 7, Riverside 2
1. Rosales/Castro (VC) def. Arlot/Lee (RCC), 8-2
2. De La Laurencie/Yuya Koide (VC) lost to Mityurin/Aviles (RCC), 8-4
3. Campolina/Noni (VC) def. Matthew Stark/Dominguez (RCC), 8-1
1. Antonio Rosales (VC) lost to Gleb Mityurin (RCC), 7-6, 6-4
2. Charles De La Laurencie (VC) def. Aurelien Arlot (RCC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Leo Noni (VC) def. Chris Lee (RCc), 6-4, 6-1
4. Ryan Lam (VC) def. Ayrton Aviles (RCC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Alexandre Campolina (VC) def. Andrew Hernandez (RCC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Cody Castro (VC) def. Marcelo Dominguez (RCC), 6-4, 6-1