The VC women's tennis team nearly pulled out the upset. The Pirates lost a narrow 5-4 decision on the road at conference-leading Bakersfield Tuesday afternoon by two points in the final doubles match of the day. Bailey Sindle and Lea Meschke combined to score three wins for Ventura ( 4-3, 2-3*) in Nos. 1 and 3 singles respectively, and in No. 1 doubles. Allie De Marco scored the fourth point for Ventura with a win at the No. 6 singles slot.
The match was all tied up after six singles matches. Sindle won in No. 1 singles 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) while Meschke prevailed at No. 3, 6-2, 6-4. De Marco won her No. 6 singles contest 6-0, 6-3.
In doubles, Sindle and Meschke dominated their Renegades' opponent 8-2. With the match tied 4-4, the No. 3 doubles team of De Marco and Luciana Muheison took their opponents to the limit, turning back a pair of match points before falling 8-6.
VC returns to action on Thursday March 2 at Glendale in a make-up from a Feb. 7 rainout. The Pirates will return home on Tuesday March 7, also against Glendale.
Ventura 4, Bakersfield 5
1. Bailey Sindle (VC) def. Paige Darstein (BC), 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Megan Fleming (VC) lost to Riley Tucker (BC), 6-1, 6-2
3. Lea Meschke (VC) def. Brittany Aguilar (BC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Alyssa Powell (VC) lost to Kaylee Defrees (BC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Luciana Muheison (VC) lost to Arianna Acevedo (BC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Chloe Moreno (BC), 6-0, 6-3
1. Sindle/Meschke (VC) def. Darstein/Defrees (BC), 8-2
2. Fleming/Powell (VC) lost to Tucker/Aguilar (BC) 8-1
3. De Marco/Muheison (VC) lost to Acevedo/Serena Contreras (BC) 8-6
* Default of WSC match vs. Victor Valley on 2/16 counts as a conference win but not as a match played.