Playing the first of four home matches this week, the Ventura College women's tennis team fell to visiting Bakersfield 6-3 Tuesday at the VC Tennis Center. Bailey Sindle was a double winner, prevailing in No. 1 singles and with Lea Meschke in No. 1 doubles. Allie De Marco was the other winner for the Pirates (5-10, 3-8*).
Sindle prevailed in the No. 1 singles slot in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, and teamed up with Meschke to win in No. 1 doubles, 8-4. De Marco won her No. 6 singles match 6-1, 6-2, and the team of De Marco and Luciana Muheison narrowly lost in No. 3 doubles, 9-7.
THe Pirates will conclude Western State Conference play on Thursday March 30 against Antelope Valley at 2:00 pm at the VC Tennis Center. They will then host San Diego Mesa and De Anza on Friday and Saturday, March 31 and April 1 in make-ups from earlier rain-outs.
Ventura 3, Bakersfield 6
1. Bailey Sindle (VC) def. Paige Darstein (BC), 6-3, 6-1
2. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Riley Tucker (BC), 6-2, 6-1
3. Megan Fleming (VC) lost to Brittany Aguilar (BC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alyssa Powell (VC) lost to Kaylee Defrees (BC), 6-3, 6-0
5. Luciana Muheison (VC) lost to Arianna Acevedo (BC), 6-1, 6-0
6. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Serena Contreras (BC), 6-1, 6-2
1. Sindle/Meschke (VC) def. Darstein/Defrees (BC), 8-4
2. Fleming/Powell (VC) lost to Tucker/Aguilar (BC) 8-0
3. De Marco/Muheison (VC) lost to Acevedo/Contreras (BC) 9-7
* Default of WSC match vs. Victor Valley on 2/16 counts as a conference win but not as a match played.