The VC women's tennis team claimed two victories Friday on the first day of the VC North/South Challenge. The Pirates (4-2, 2-2) defeated College of the Sequoias 6-3 in the morning match before besting Fresno City College 5-4 in the evening contest. The doubles team of Alyssa Powell and Allie De Marco won two matches on the day and the two also each won their only singles competition.
Ventura 6, Sequoias 3
Against Sequoias, the Pirates trailed 2-1 after the doubles play, with Powell and De Marco earning the only point for VC at No. 1 by a 9-7 decision. Both Powell and De Marco won in Nos. 2 and 3 singles, 6-0, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-1, respectively. Jule Lauinger prevailed in No. 4 singles, 6-2, 6-2 and Keressa Garland won in No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-0. Tricia McClain claimed the No. 6 singles match love and one.
1. Powell/De Marco (VC) def. Pinquian/Hudson (COS), 9-7
2. Meschke/Lauinger (VC) lost to McDonald/Leighninger (COS), 8-1
3. Garland/McClain (VC) lost to Rojas/Canchola (COS), 8-1
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Marah Pinquian (COS), 6-1, 6-2
2. Alyssa Powell (VC) def. Katrina Hudson (COS), 6-0, 6-1
3. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Maddie McDonald (COS), 6-1, 6-1
4. Jule Lauinger (VC) def. Ava Leighninger (COS), 6-2, 6-2
5. Keressa Garland (VC) def. Jordaine Rojas (COS), 6-3, 6-0
6. Tricia McClain (VC) def. Destiny Canchola (COS), 6-0, 6-1
Ventura 5, Fresno 4
In the nightcap, the Pirates upended the shorthanded Rams 5-4 while allowing some reserve players to see some live matches. Powell and De Marco win in No. 1 doubles 8-1 and Lea Meschke and Lauinger triumphed in No. 2 doubles 8-1. Ventura won the No. 3 doubles and the Nos. 5 and 6 singles slots by default to complete the five points.
1. Keressa Garland (VC) lost to Molly Amico (FCC), 6-1, 6-4
2. Chelsea Carmichael (VC) lost to Masha Pirogova (FCC), 6-0, 6-0
3. Leila Esmaili (VC) lost to Lilly Raddivalam (FCC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Mirella Lemus (VC) lost to Susan Elliott (FCC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Ventura wins by default
6. Ventura wins by default
The Pirates conclude the North South Challenge on Saturday Feb. 17 against Chabot College at 9:00 am at the VC Tennis Center.