The Pirates' women's tennis team traveled down the PCH Thursday, bringing a 6-3 decision home from Santa Monica in Western State Conference action. Allie De Marco and Tricia McClain led the Pirates (6-3, 4-2) with love and love victories in Nos. 3 and 5 singles, respectively. De Marco and Alyssa Powell also posted a shutout 8-0 win in No. 1 doubles.
Powell won in No. 2 singles 6-1, 6-0 and Jule Lauinger prevailed in No. 4 singles,, 6-2, 6-0.
Ventura has the next three matches at home, beginning on Friday Feb. 23 when Saddleback visits the VC Tennis Center at 2:00 pm. The Pirates will then host Grossmont at 10:00 am on Saturday Feb. 24.
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Abby Mullins (SMC), 6-3, 6-2
2. Alyssa Powell (VC) def. Mina Girit (SMC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Amanda Golling (SMC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Jule Lauinger (VC) def. Susan Talreja (SMC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Tricia McClain (VC) def. Kiho Hirayama (SMC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Chelsea Carmichael (VC) lost to Yurim Han (SMC), 6-1, 6-1
1. Powell/De Marco (VC) def. Collins/Girit (SMC), 8-0
2. McClain/Leila Esmaili (VC) lost to Talreja/Hiryama (SMC), 8-2
3. Ventura wins by default