The Pirates' women's tennis team staked their claim solidly in the upper half of the Western State Conference Tuesday with a 6-3 victory over visiting Bakersfield at the VC Tennis Center. Allie De Marco and Tricia McClain both posted love and love victories at Nos. 3 and 6 singles, respectively, and the Pirates also had two 8-0 wins in doubles play. With the victory, the Pirates (7-4, 5-2) claimed third place in the eight-team conference standings through the first round of conference play.
The Pirates and Renegades split singles action. De Marco and McClain produced easy wins, and Keressa Garland had a 6-4, 6-1 win at the No. 5 slot. VC narrowly missed clinching the match in singles play, falling in the Nos. 1, 2 and 4 slots, each in three sets.
In doubles competition, Ventura left no doubt, however, when Alyssa Powell and De Marco at No. 1, and Lea Meschke and Jule Lauinger at No. 2, each posted 8-0 shutout victories to clinch. Garland and McClain won their No. 3 doubles match 8-4 for good measure in the triumph.
The Pirates return to the court on Tuesday March 6 when they travel to first place Glendale College in a key conference match up.
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Kayleen Sanchez (BC), 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
2. Alyssa Powell (VC) lost to Serena Contreras (BC), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Sophia Castillo (BC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Jule Lauinger (VC) lost to Kenzi Williamson (BC), 6-3, 4-6, 7-6
5. Keressa Garland (VC) def. Brandi Borjon (BC), 6-4, 6-1
6. Tricia McClain (VC) def. Chasidy Sotello (BC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Powell/De Marco (VC) def. Sanchez/Contreras (BC), 8-0
2. Meschke/Lauinger (VC) def. Castillo/Sotello (BC), 8-0
3. Garland/McClain (VC) def. Williamson/Borjon (BC), 8-4