The Ventura College women's tennis team was tied 3-3 with Santa Barbara coming out of singles play, but faded down the stretch in the close 6-3 defeat to the Vaqueros at the VC Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon. The loss puts the Pirates firmly in third place in the Western State Conference behind SBCC and front-runner Glendale, taking a hit to the team's playoff hopes. Alyssa Powell, Allie De Marco and Tricia McClain all recorded singles wins for VC (7-6, 5-4).
Powell won in No. 2 singles, one and love, while De Marco prevailed in No. 3 singles, love and three. McClain claimed her No. 6 singles match, 6-4, 7-5.
Lea Meschke was defeated in three sets at no. 1 singles, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1, and Jule Lauinger pushed her opponent to a tiebreak in her 6-2, 7-6 loss. Powell and De Marco lost their No. 1 doubles match 8-6 while Keressa Garland and McClain dropped the No.3 doubles match, 8-5.
The Pirates next head to Cerritos for a non-conference match on Friday March 9. The contest with the Falcons begins at 2:00 pm.
Ventura 3, Santa Barbara 6
1. Lea Meschke (VC) lost to Katelyn Peyvandi (SBCC), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. Alyssa Powell (VC) def. Gabrielle Goss (SBCC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Allie De Marco (VC) def. Josephine Pulver (SBCC), 6-0, 6-3
4. Jule Lauinger (VC) lost to Pia Valtierra (SBCC), 6-2, 7-6
5. Keressa Garland (VC) lost to Hanna Pesniak (SBCC), 6-1, 6-2
6. Tricia McClain (VC) def. Maddie Mitchell (SBCC), 6-4, 7-5
1. Powell/De Marco (VC) lost Peyvandi/Goss (SBCC), 8-6
2. Meschke/Lauringer (VC) lost to Pulver/Valtierra (SBCC), 8-2
3. Garland/McClain (VC) lost to Michell/Pesniak (SBCC), 8-5