The VC women's tennis team split the six matches played on the court against Bakersfield on thursday afternoon, but fell to defeat 6-3 against the Renegades due to a shortage of available players at the VC Tennis Center. Keressa Garland won her No. 3 singles match while Denissa Garcia prevailed in a 3-set match at No. 4. Garcia and Garland also won an extended match in No. 2 doubles for the Pirates (5-12, 5-8).
Garland triumphed in her No. 3 singles match 6-1, 6-2 while Garcia won 6-2, 4-6, 6-1. The duo then teamed up to win in No. 2 doubles in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-2).
Ventura will close out the regular season on the road Tuesday April 2 at Santa Barbara. The Western State Conference Singles and Doubles Tournament begins Friday April 5 at the VC Tennis Center.
Ventura 3, Bakersfield 6
1. Aliyah Amaya (VC) lost to Kayleen Sanchez (BC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Tanya Thompson (VC) lost to Katelyn Wernhart (BC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Keressa Garland (VC) def. Zoe Butter (BC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Denissa Garcia (VC) def. Ashlyne Aguilar (BC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
5. (VC) lost to Jacqlyn Zavala (BC), default
6. (VC) lost to Leslie Pineda (BC), default
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 4
1. Amaya/Thompson (VC) lost to Paige Darstein/Pineda (BC), 8-2
2. Garcia/Garland (VC) def. Zavala/Butter (BC) 9-8 (7-2)
3. (VC) lost to Sanchez/Aguilar (BC), default
Order of Finish: 1, 2