The Pirates' women's tennis team and the Antelope Valley Marauders were locked in a tight match Tuesday afternoon in Lancaster when darkness suspended play. The contest was tied 4-4 with the No. 3 singles match featuring VC's Allison Jones knotted at one set each when play was suspended due to darkness. Play will resume when the teams meet again on March 24 in Ventura. Sylvie Van Cott and Aline Rojas were both double winners for Ventura on the day.
Van Cott and Rojas provided the lone Ventura point in doubles play, winning their No. 1 match 8-2. The No. 2 duo of Jones and Denissa Garcia narrowly dropped a 9-8 decision and Tanya Thompson and Dee Emami were edged at No. 3, 8-6.
In singles play, Van Cott continued her dominance at No. 1 with a one and love victory. Rojas won at No. 2, 6-3, 7-5 and Garcia prevailed at No. 4, 6-4, 6-1. With the match tied, Jones' No. 3 singles match that was suspended due to darkness becomes the decider.
Ventura (4-3, 2-3) begins the second round of Western State Conference play at home against Santa Barbara on Tuesday March 3.
Ventura 4, Antelope Valley 4
1. Van Cott/Rojas (VC) def. Henderson/Brown (AVC), 8-2
2. Jones/Garcia (VC) lost to Garcia/Gonzalez (AVC), 9-8
3. Thompson/Emami (VC) lost to Valdez/Frida Anguiano (AVC), 8-6
1. Sylvie Van Cott (VC) def. Kristi Henderson (AVC), 6-1, 6-0
2. Aline Rojas (VC) def. Jylian Brown (AVC), 6-3, 7-5
3. Allison Jones (VC) vs. Marijane Garcia (AVC), 4-6, 6-4, play suspended
4. Denissa Garcia (VC) def. Caroline Gonzalez (AVC), 6-4, 6-1
5. Tanya Thompson (VC) lost to Marisol Valdez (AVC), 6-1, 7-6
6. Isabella DeRosa (VC) lost to Marbella Rubio (AVC), 6-3, 6-4