The Pirates' women's tennis team returned to the court Wednesday after over a year away, falling 8-1 at Cal Lutheran University, and NCAA Division III school in Thousand Oaks. Sylvie Van Cott and Erin Gaynor won Ventura's lone point with an 8-7 win at No. 1 doubles. Van Cott also dropped a narrow decision at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 2-6, 10-8, her first setback in the orange and black after posting an 11-0 singles mark a year ago in the Covid-shortened season.
The Pirates continue a string of three matches in three days against upperclassmen on Thursday April 15 at Azusa Pacific. They conclude the season-0opening run on Friday April 17 at Biola University.
Ventura 1, CalLutheran 8
1. Van Cott/Gaynor (VC) def. Foreman/Gross Hinojosa (CLU) 8-7
2. Zegers/McClain (VC) lost to Heidi Levanen/Seaberg (CLU), 8-0
3. DeRosa/Gallo (VC) lost to Buck/Sophia Gawrit (CLU), 8-1
1. Sylvie Van Cott (VC) lost to Brennan Foreman (CLU), 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
2. Erin Gaynor (VC) lost to Carolina Groff Hinojosa (CLU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Victoria Zegers (VC) lost to Jordan Buck (CLU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Alyssa McClain (VC) lost to Joslin Seaberg (CLU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Isabella DeRosa (VC) lost to Lauren Sebastian (CLU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Ava Gallo (VC) lost to Rubina Copano (CLU), 6-0, 6-2